I support more active travel. This is consistent with my declared policy commitments to reduce greenhouse emissions and protect the land for further encroachment by roads and car parking space.
I have made a personal commitment to walk and bike ride in my local area of Davidson as my preferred way to make short trips and I use public transport
I support the independent and cross-party Parliamentary Friends of Active Transport; and Gear Up Girl especially for women and girls in Davidson.
Independent Davidson’s Response to Bike North’s questions:
1. WHAT WILL YOU DO TO HELP ADVOCATE FOR A DOUBLING OF THE ACTIVE TRANSPORT BUDGET, ENCOURAGING AND SUPPORTING WALKING AND CYCLING BETWEEN DESTINATIONS?
If elected I would:
· Confer with BikeNorth and Bicycle NSW about the progressing this goal as part of an overall strategy for achieving mode shift and enabling more people to use active travel more often for their health and to ease cost-of-living pressures
· hold meetings across Davidson to discuss the upcoming NSW Budget, include adequate funding for an Active Transport Strategy and represent these results to the portfolios (transport, health, and social wellbeing) in the new NSW Government
2. HOW WILL YOU HELP ADVOCATE TO ENFORCE LAWS TO MAKE BICYCLE RIDING SAFER?
As an incoming member I would seek a briefing from the Gordon and Frenchs Forest police command that includes the status of motor traffic speed controls, and how to improve conditions for safe cycling and walking. On meeting with the Police I would ask them directly about:
· Law enforcement for safer cycling
· Better Streets – how are the current projects working, and where are the next priorities for treatment
· Opportunities of working with trip generators in the electorate to encourage mode shift
· Their work with Councils on Traffic Committees in ensuring that sufficient attention is allocated to active travel (walking, cycling and public transport).
3. HOW WILL YOU SUPPORT BETTER STREETS INITIATIVES SUCH AS 30 KM/H SPEED LIMITS, SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL AND QUIET WAYS?
I would work with local Police, schools and councils within the Davidson electorate - Ku-ring-gai Council and Northern Beaches Council to support Better Streets initiatives such as 30 km/h speed limits, safe routes to school and quiet ways.
I would obtain a briefing on ‘good practice’ in other parts of the Sydney metropolitan region – from councils and bicycle user groups – where some success in mode shift has been achieved.
- Log in to post comments